Releasing a new Valhalla version¶
We are using http://semver.org/ for versioning with major, minor and patch versions.
We are giving the following guarantees between versions:
Major version change¶
- There are no guarantees about compatiblity of APIs or datasets
- Breaking changes will be noted as
BREAKINGin the changelog
Minor version change¶
We may introduce forward-compatible changes: query parameters and response properties may be added in responses, but existing properties may not be changed or removed. One exception to this is the addition of new turn types, which we see as forward-compatible changes.
- Forward-compatible HTTP API
- Forward-compatible C++ library API
- Forward-compatible dataset version
Patch version change¶
- No change of query parameters or response formats
- Compatible HTTP API
- Compatible C++ library API
- Compatible data datasets
Release and branch management¶
masterbranch is for the bleeding edge development
- We create and maintain release branches
x.yto control the release flow
- We create the release branch once we create release branches once we want to release the first RC
- RCs go in the release branch, commits needs to be cherry-picked from master
- No minor or major version will be released without a code-equal release candidates
- For quality assurance, release candidates need to be staged before tagging a final release
- Patch versions may be released without a release candidate
- We may backport fixes to older versions and release them as patch versions
Releasing a version¶
- Check out the appropriate release branch
- Make sure
CHANGELOG.mdis up to date.
- Make sure all tests are passing (e.g. Circle CI gives you a :green_apple:).
- Make sure the
valhalla/valhalla.hhas been updated.
- Use an annotated tag to mark the release:
git tag x.y.z -a. The body of the tag description should be the changelog entries.
- Push tags and commits:
git push; git push --tags
- On https://github.com/valhalla/valhalla/releases press
Draft a new release, write the release tag
Tag versionfield, write the changelog entries in the
Describe this releasefield and press